Thursday 26 February 2009

Van Halen - Van Halen (1978)


I was four year old when it was released, and many years later, this record is about as relevant now as it was to me back then. I just don't get it. I've read numerous rock-related books which brand this album as a a classic, but it's all lost on me. Sure, Eddie Van Halen was a great guitarist, sure, Dave Lee Roth was a pretty impressive entertainer, but there's more to metal than just that. 'Runnin With The Devil' is a slow pacer, not a bad hard rock track, but it's simply too nice to harbour any electricity. 'Aint Talkin Bout Love' beefs things up...a little, but it's watery rock 'n' roll lacking swagger, attitude and any kind of edge. I'm finding myself bored by 'Jamie's Cryin', with its elements of Aerosmith strut in its chorus, but I'm gettin' nothin' from this. Mr Van Halen can shred all he wants and Mr Roth can pout throughout, but the Americanised, almost sickly spaciousness of the record leaves me gagging, yearning for a bombastic echo or slightly darker facade. Reminds me of the kind of record played on late night American radio, and for me, this applies to just about every Van Halen record. As dull as dishwater. Don't believe the legend.


5/10

No comments: