Monday 15 December 2008

Judas Priest - Stained Class (1978)


The opening ramble of 'Exciter' sounds dated if you ask me and I'll argue that toss forever, and also the fact that Priest and Kiss remain the two metal acts I just can't fully fathom. Sure, it's full of testosterone, pumping lead into the flesh, Halford's defiant cries will leave him alone on that mountain for many years as the guitar attack of Tipton and Downing fills the sky with a clinical tear that allows crimson to seep from the clouds, but in the halls of metal, I'm not grasping this so-called influential album. Sure, rumour has it that metallers had committed suicide after listening to its dark words, but I'm not feeling the true heat of this. The title cut plods, 'Invader' is predictable, and 'Savage' fails to move me. What am I to do ? Wholly confused by the legacy the band has adorned the metal world with. I appreciate the technical ability of the band, but early Manowar is far more potent, because through all the fist waving, all the leather, and all the motorbike fumes, I'm merely nauseous and reaching for something far heavier and wholesome. Priest are a band I appreciate in doses, some of the time loving their leathery attacks ('Painkiller') but yet I still find myself sitting awkwardly with the sound, as if a metal spike has been shoved up my arse...but to no effect!

6/10

No comments: