Thursday 29 September 2011

Deep Purple - The House Of Blue Light (1987)

I feel like I should downgrade this record just because it's a mundane, late '80s DP record - so fitting of its time, I can just imagine this being promoted on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show! So, it's not a masterful record, and if you ask me none of their records were genius despite the acclaim given to some of the early records - and I've always found Gillan's voice soothing rather than hellbent on metal fury, but, there are some very cool moments on this record, for one, the killer riff to 'Hard Lovin Woman', pure Blackmore magic. The organ drenched 'Mitzi Dupree' showcases the smokey, blues atmosphere we've come to expect from the band over the years whilst 'Dead Or Alive' is a galloping rider of the darkest night! At times there's a maiden feel, and it's always typically mid to late '80s in its feel which is fine by me, and whilst I've always taken DP and their records with a pinch of salt, on certain nights of the year 'The House...' can be quite an absorbing experience.

7/10

No comments: