Friday 3 February 2012

Grinder - Nothing Is Sacred (1991)

Okay, so this one passed me by back in the day - maybe it was the banal band name or the stereotypical cover, but boy am I glad that I finally managed to lend an ear, because Grinder are quite a shock - in a good way - to the system. I guess I was expecting some type of dull death metal or maybe a mundane thrash fest, and whilst Grinder regularly act out a no thrills thrashy policy there's more to this opus than meets the third eye. At first the vocals seem slightly out of place, and maybe out of a tune in their Gothic abandonment but then suddenly we are hit with a track like 'Pavement Tango'. This is struttin' with the bass and funky with the groove, bringing to mind Mordred and another of my favourite experimental thrashers, Napalm. This is pretty cool metal with a thrash attitude and look, but the band have an uncanny ability of slipping in subtle grooves. 'None Of The Brighter Days' has a mystical edge, giving this such a refreshing angel. There's a smoothness about proceedings that I've not heard in a long time, and I'm wondering how in '91 this slipped under the radar, but it's way cooler than so many bands at the time, and with it's loose, thrashy look this deserves to be a cult winner. Also brings to mind the struttin' thrash of Midas Touch and Paradox. Good stuff. Do not be mislead by that sleeve!

7.5/10

No comments: