Monday 28 September 2009

Electric Angels - Electric Angels (1990)


This kinda boozy, floozy retro rock 'n' roll is a touchy subject with me. I adore the Faces, Rolling Stones, etc, but it only works occasionally when replicated, i.e. Black Crowes, and quite a few British acts. Electric Angels rely too much on the thorny imitation, with top-hats perched on scruffy heads, paisley scarves and drunken anthems, it's all been done before, and so much better. 'I Believe' is okay, but by the time 'Rattlesnake Kisses' attempts to strut, but instead stumbles, it's a mess of a record. Maybe, just maybe these guys are authentic alley cats, but Hanoi Rocks, New York Dolls, did it far better, and I just can''t hear another sleazy bar stool number in ode to whiskey, cigarettes and lost love.

'True Love And Other Fairy Tales' almost crawls across the line as a reputable dealer in tattooed ecstasy, but nope, it might as well be Poison's 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn'. The Quireboys did a similar bar room brawl, but I just don't think these guys have a rock 'n' roll bone in their bodies. Sure, ya can dress up like Keith Richards and try to sound rusty in the vocal pipes, and getting Bolan and Bowie producer Tony Visconti in shoulda worked some magic. However, Electric Angels, who probably took ten seconds to think of their band name, lean on each other like beer buddies, but I just think there's too much water in the whiskey for yet another band of this ilk to work.


5/10

1 comment:

DGW said...

This is an album I've been keen to re-hear as I used to like it bak in the day but lost my tape if it. Copies on eBay tend to go for far more than I'm prepared to pay for it! There was a second album that I think went unreleased but which has turned up online; it was a much straighter rock album than the debut though.