Monday 28 September 2009

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction (1987)


I love the album cover, even if it's as predictable as the journey within. Admittedly, these were the kind of thrash records I existed on as a teenager. Solid riffs, often mid-paced, from the drum laden thud of opening instrumental 'The Curse', pretty formulaic, but I prefer 'Mayhemic...' to the more polished 'Face of Despair'. Looking back, I don't think there was such a thing as a corny lyric, because so many bands were aiming for the same atmospheres and imaginings. 'Women In Leather' is not the greatest thrash title, especially when you consider what bands such as Metallica and Slayer were thrashing out at the time. But again, I'll defend this kind of thrash, because its robust, its a healthy diet and intoxicating in its production because although it lacks originality, I simply find it endearing.


Australian thrash never got the credit it deserved but this sonic assault wouldn't be uncomfortable alongside the likes of Testament, Exodus and the likes. A relatively short record at eight tracks, again, this was the formula back in the day, and often hiding behind an artistic cover. 'Blood, Death, Hatred', 'Mortal Laughter' and the title cut follow a familiar vein, but it works for me. i don't think a majority of thrash dates, maybe it's because I was there to appreciate at the time as a big scene, but I like to think that bands like Mortal Sin were better than given credit for. Whilst they never had it in them to write a 'Reign In Blood' or 'Master Of Puppets', Mortal Sin still caused a reasonable level of ear destruction!


7/10

No comments: