Wednesday 19 May 2010

Crazy Lixx - New Religion (2010)


The Swedish sleaze metal scene has been all a buzz for a few years now, personally, I find it all a bit unoriginal with the exception of a handful of bands who have a little bit more bite than most. Crazy Lixx win no prizes for originality, but what they do possess is the ability to take '80s glam/sleaze rock, and freshen it up a little even if they rely heavily on all the old cliches to pull them through. The problem with a 'scene' of course is that one can be drowned in its constant flow of bands striving for a crown which was claimed decades previous. However, I can understand the lure of the scene, with the hairspray image, the cigarettes, alcohol, and Hollywood romanticism, although I doubt whether many bands out there today are playing the game with any sincerity.

Even so, Crazy Lixx offer a loose brand of sleaze metal which reminds me a great deal of Skid Row ('21 Til I die') mixed with flashes of Def Leppard and their scarf waving love anthem's. 'My Medicine...' may have a few people reaching for the Off button once they hear those Joe Elliot-inspired harmonies, but it's all good fun in the same way Crash Diet puked out their derivative style, but again, if it's done with sincerity it's okay by me. Naturally, such bands may provoke one to reach for the original classics from the '80s which still reek of JD and hairspray. Crazy Lixx, I hope, will introduce new metal fans to the great bands of old, and I'm sure that via slow-burner 'Children Of The Cross' and token ballad 'What Of Our Love', fans will get to appreciate the days of old and perceive acts such as Crazy Lixx as worshipper's of a scene which once ruled the world. It may not be Faster Pussycat, but it's fun.

7/10

No comments: