Tuesday 22 February 2011

Bonfire - Fireworks (1987)

I scoffed at this back in the day - I guess I was too busy thinking I was friends with Satan - but even so, giving this another spin I like it and appreciate for what it is - German metal with a Scorpions edge which isn't as weak as I would have expected. Claus Lessmann's tones give the whole affair a distinctly European edge, and the tumbling drums of Ken Mary and at times pulverising guitars of Ziller and Maier-Thorn actually shock me into liking it even more. Strangely, I recall this when it came out and it just reminded me of perfect metal for a late night, and the cover always embedded itself into the lore of my mind although I couldn't push myself to buy the record at the time. Hell, there was so much of this stuff around at the time, but when the searing guitars scorch the skin on 'Never Mind' and 'Rock Me Now' slinks with sultry aplomb I find myself nodding along with a smirk as if to say, 'Hey guys, this is alright'. The whole album appears to be bathed in a fiery hue, and although the dress code of the band is strictly for the cringe basket, I refuse to slag this ten track opus off because many years after its release, and several sweltering guitar licks down the line, I am man enough to say that Bonfire rock and 'Sleeping All Alone' could well be one of metal's finest three minutes.

7/10

No comments: