Monday 18 April 2011

Van Halen - 1984 (1983)

The only VH album I can listen to more than once. No denying the Lycra pomposity of frontman Dave Lee Roth or the wizardry of guitar god Eddie Van Halen as he lays down some seriously funky twiddling, and of course the album boasted a fist of hits, 'Jump', possibly one of metal's most known cuts blessed with that catchy keyboard and swirling guitar, and the images of DLR leaping high into the hair with tassels and sweat everywhere. '1984', despite the cheeky MTV vid hit 'Hot For Teacher' only plods in at around half an hour, but, like Kiss, VH have inspired and influenced millions and I'm not sure how. Van Halen have put metal into people's homes, they've created gargantuan boogie anthems of fun and yet it just grates on me time and time again. '1984' was to be the last featuring Dave, and I was never one to care. The melody of 'Drop Dead Legs' and riffing 'I'll Wait' pass me by with no effect. I find it all a bit lukewarm, and whilst I can acknowledge the musicianship I'm not the least bit interested, never have been a never will be. Sorry.

5/10

No comments: