Tuesday 22 May 2007

Iron Maiden - Live After Death (1985)

It was the sleeve that did it for me, being a young and innocent teen and seeing this live, double album staring from the racks. I just had to have it, but parents being parents...my mother wouldn't let me spend all my pocket money on such devilish delights! Ha!
I've never been a fan of live records, but as soon as Churchill's speech echoes through the cavernous arena of Maiden's world tour, there's a crackling electricity in the air, something is about to happen and Maiden classic, 'Aces High' streams through the darkness, bathed under the lights of the stage, and the sound of classic metal soars into the zenith, helped by Dickinson's tones.
For Maiden fans it's a must have record, a cauldron of all their early classics, and even if, like me, you're not a great fan of their albums, this is a timely reminder that these guys certainly churned out some true metal classics, mainly in the form of '2 Minutes To Midnight', 'The Trooper', 'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' and several here from the superb ' Number Of The Beast' album.
The cover alone is worth the money, unfortunately, around the time I only had the album on cassette, but on vinyl the full blown magic of mascot Eddie rising from the soil sends shivers down the spine.
7.5/10

No comments: