Sunday 12 August 2007

I Love You - I Love You (1991)

Why did major label Geffen, the home of Guns ‘n’ Roses, sign bands such as I Love You, who were surely destined to fail despite writing tunes that were years ahead of anything else ? I Love You were never gonna sell like Guns ‘n’ Roses, and neither were Warrior Soul, but they were far more talented than the bigger acts on the label, I Love You just too clever for their own good providing a lazy yet dark grunge rock with haunting melodies and obscure meaning, all the while mixing a bit of Zeppelin with Soundgarden, a sleazy groove at times and then something wistful, all enticing stuff from a band who only lasted two albums during that ill-fated period, but then I guess at least during that strange time some of us were indeed privileged to hear such wondrous bands, it’s just a shame that this bluesy, casual yet alarmingly intelligent band couldn’t reach the airwaves, but I just don’t think it was ever meant to be.
File alongside Last Crack, Liquid Jesus etc.

Strange name, cool band.

7.5/10

No comments: