Wednesday 30 January 2008

Poison - Open Up And Say..Ahh! (1988)


I feel almost apologetic that I've included such a record, but my excuse is, it was bought for me one Christmas...obviously not the best Christmas, but this record is certainly an acquired taste. For glam heads only, it lacks the sleaze of early Crue, is bereft of the swagger of Faster Pussycat, and certainly has no trace of Marc Bolan's dandy charm, because Poison were almost like a manufactured band at the time, and frowned upon due to their often lightweight sound and feminine image...there were several so-called 'hard' kids at my school who all thought the band were women and admitted fancying them...that made a few idiots blush! Musically, well, at times it's embarrassing and there's no two ways about it. The inclusion of 'Your Mama Don't Dance' was appalling selection, 'Love On The Rocks' is a glam sham chant and acoustic ballad 'Every Rose...' attempted to claw some credibility back, but ended up a bit Bon Jovi. However, I've heard a lot worse, Poison certainly being at the top of the glam rock pile during the '80s, but the scene was quickly destroyed by bands with balls. Major issue with the record is that it's weaker in sound even than I'd expected, but certainly a record very much part of its genre.


6.5/10

No comments: