Monday 5 January 2009

Helmet - Meantime (1992)


Riff absorbed, angry, sweaty and aggressive...not really metal despite its weight, 'Meantime' emerged around the time I lost heart with metal, grunge was on the up, and all I had left as my saviour was Faith No More's 'Angel Dust'. Helmet, a bruising bunch of New Yorker's attempted to give metal another life although their street-based hardcore groove was simply too grey to digest despite its frustrated menace. The title cut is a real slab of anxiety, 'Give It' borders on a Sabbath trip with its surfed up riffage to ride on and Page Hamilton's vocals are often smooth but always furious, but is it enough in a dying world ? Not really. I'm lumping this in with Rollins Band as muscular and confrontational but lacking the imagery of metal's rich past, in all, something akin to headbutting a pavement. Sure, if enough passiona nd angst is put into it, the fury may take away the pain, but this battering ram of sludgecore leaves me without feeling, and that's not the kind of result I want from a band.

5/10

1 comment:

hittingkickers said...

Now there's a blast from the past.

"Unsung" was the highlight track. Nothing too memorable I don't think.