Monday 5 January 2009

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather (1979)


You have to give these kind of bands credit, let's face it, they were releasing a record back then almost every year, so the output is pretty consistent even I'm not licking the leather arses of Priest, but 'Hell Bent...' is one of the bands finest records, 'Delivering The Goods' takes no prisoners and Halford shatters glass as he wails through 'Rock Forever', but then I'm finding myself cringing at the glam plod cheese of 'Evening Star', I'm sorry, I just don't get this weak, crotch grabbing bag of garbage although am immediately relieved to be rescued by the title track, but I'm still detecting something so camp beyond the mask of metal, maybe it's the lyrics or just Halford's oh so serious but corny vocal attack, and 'Take On The World', complete with it's Queen meets Gary Glitter chorus has a similar effect. By this time I'm heading for the exit but will keep flicking through reluctantly in case I happen to find a smouldering gem, but I dunno, were priest ever a gargantuan force within metal ? Have their records paled to meagre piles of dog shit over the years or is it just the cd age taking its toll, making these once waxed wonders mere tinny odes. I'm just struggling to get a grip of Priest, too many up's and down's, 'Before The Dawn' actually lifts me as a ballad, 'Evil Fantasies' drops me like a lead balloon...and that's just the way Priest are gonna affect me, and I'm gonna have to just deal with the fact that we ain't ever gonna have a relationship!


6.5/10

No comments: