Monday 23 August 2010

Geisha - Phantasmagoria (1987)


I picked this oddity up at a record fair and have to say, this is a fine heavy metal slab. I expected it to be glam rock, but the cover didn't really give anything away except to hint that it might be of dramatic fashion. Sadly, the album is only just over half-an hour but the seven tracks on offer surprise me pleasantly. This is straight forward metal I guess, but there;s a fire raging behind it and even a trace of darkness. For some reason it reminds me of Fastway's 'Trick Or Treat' record, all guns blazing on the guitars and Yenz Cheyenne's vocals are quite Gothic in a theatrical metal sense. 'You Got What It Takes' and the stomp of 'Shock Rock School' are typical of '80s metal...and that's a good thing, believe me. I don't know what else the band did, in fact it's all a mystery I'm quite hooked on to. Certainly worth more than the £2.00 I paid for it!


7/10

No comments: