Monday 23 August 2010

Johnnie Rotten Junior - The Death Of Harry Potter (?)


This is an odd one. Chip Z'Nuff, the Enuff Z Nuff legend, releases a stoned, hippy and dreamy album which I actually find quite hard to listen to. Whether it's the haze of pot smoke surrounding it, or those sugary, watery Beatles licks I dunno, but it's not as endearing as Donnie Vie's more tragic serenades. For me, too many ELO and Beatles steals, 'A Day In The Life' on the album opener, but it's still worth checking out for those 'Revolver' loops, Lennon rasps, hippy grooves and cloudy atmosphere's. I'm not a fan of The Kinks cover ('All Day...') at the end, but I guess this is a personal record but The Beatles nods should be kept for the Enuff Z Nuff records where they work best. Light another...and drift away. I guess the album title was simply a ploy to get more hits on the internet.


5/10

No comments: