Friday 10 September 2010

Kiss - Rock And Roll Over (1976)


Dressed in one of my favourite album covers, Kiss once again strut faintly through glam rock soup. 'Opener 'I Want You' actually boats a little beef, Stanley finding a bit of soul behind the make-up, but again, I'm still questioning the whole existence of these weightless pomp rockers, wondering how they've inspired so many. As 'Take Me' stomps with a whimper and the tin-can 'Calling Dr Love' exposes Mr Simmons' all apparent vocal inadequacies, I'm bereft after listening to the Kiss machine. I'll never know how they survived so long in the music biz and yet the dollars keep rolling into their bank accounts despite the junk-shop glam riffs, and bar room boogie of tracks such as 'Ladies Room' which must have taken seconds to write. There is no thought process behind much of that Kiss do, but with each bubblegum riff passing by, and Stanley spluttering through the twang of 'Mr Speed', I can only scratch my head in confusion then hang it in shame for listening to the whole damn thing. There's a lift from T-Rex's 'Get It On', and as Gene Simmons does an awful job of convincing the brain dead listener that he's the lord of sleaze, sex and kinky darkness, I can only think that maybe kids just liked the cover of these albums, because behind those images of black 'n' white, I'm hearing just a clattering noise. 'Makin Love' closes the album and believe me, intercourse is the last thing Kiss inspire me to do...and yet somehow, after every Kiss album, I come back for more. Why, I'll never know.

6/10

No comments: