Thursday 3 March 2011

Ratt - Ratt And Roll 8191 (1991)

If, like me, you prefer Ratt in small doses, then the best way of getting all their 'best' stuff is on this compilation album. The '8191' in the title is nothing mystical but simply lets you know this album covers their career from 1981 to 1991 doh! Anyway, I've never been a huge fan of the band, but would point people in the direction of the bands self-titled debut and the follow up 'Out Of The Cellar', or, like I say, just buy this compilation of fourteen tracks, featuring the 'classics', such as 'Round And Round', 'Shame Shame Shame', 'Lay It Down' and 'Lack Of Communication'.

Strangely, I put Ratt alongside Kiss in terms of the effect they had on me - none whatsoever and I was kind of bewildered by the fact, especially with Kiss, that they sold so many albums. Ratt don't grate quite as much but there has always been a lack of identity, especially after lending my ears for so long to the lipstick swagger of the mighty Crue. Pearcy is a very average frontman and the songs the band Rattle ('scuse the pun'!) out are at times so watery that even the hair metal scene seems too sleazy to hold them. I dunno, I just don't get it all that well but do appreciate their place in metal but I can live without them.

6/10

No comments: