Wednesday 2 March 2011

Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 1 (1987)

For me, this was one of those records that epitomised the late '80s metal scene. Great cover, half-decent mystical band name, and yet somehow I always felt let down by the sound. Helloween were never up to scratch if you ask me, although 'Keeper...Part 1' is probably their best album. They began life as a German speed metal act and slowed the tempo to become an almost Euro-Maiden clone, mainly due to Kiske's almost operatic vocal assault. Certainly very adequate musically, the European acts always fulfilling potential on that side, but I just can't put my finger on what's missing, but even so, it's pretty clinical metal which reaches a euphoric climax with the thirteen-minute extravaganza 'Halloween'.

I don't think Helloween ever reached the heights they should have, and despite their immense talent, their career reminds me of Metal Church, who for some strange reason, despite their near perfect brand of metal, just couldn't rise high. I was enveloped in the cover art, reminding me heavily of Tolkien's classic 'Lord Of The Rings' books, but once I'd stepped inside the Gothic building I always felt a little at unease, and I guess I've also experienced the same atmosphere on so many Maiden albums. The quality can't be denied and yet it still grates.

7/10

No comments: