Wednesday 23 March 2011

Samson - Calm Before The Storm (1982)

So, chief warbler Bruce Dickinson leaves Samson for some band called Iron Maiden...and the rest is history of course. Samson enlist the chubby credentials of Nicky Moore, and despite being wrapped in one of metal's greatest album covers, 'Calm...' simply plods without real effect. Maybe it's Moore's pub rock vocals or Samson's dinosaur stomp on opener 'Dangerzone', I dunno, but I sense a lack of fire here and this continues with the mediocre 'Stealing Away', Thunderstick plodding merrily away on the skins, my yawn however consuming the band in one instant. The rest of 'Calm...' follows suit, and no matter how hard I stare at that album cover, I can not evoke any further images of fantasy from the music held within and I'm sad about that. 'I'll Be Around' is so middle of the road, I'm sure that it's been flattened a thousand times by oncoming traffic, and 'Life On The Run' seems a continuation of this dour gallop. 

Apparently this album, on vinyl, isn't that common, and I've seen it being sold for between £8.00 and £30.00 second hand, and must say that none of these prices are worth it, but if you can just steal the cover then do, because the sound itself doesn't reflect the foaming sea, the bloodied warrior, and rising serpent on the sleeve. No hint of a storm, and no real calm, just a non event sadly.
5/10

No comments: