Wednesday 22 January 2014

Heather Leather - Princess Leather (2005)

I was slightly confused by this record when I first heard it because I thought I'd stumbled on something from the '80s and was then shocked to find that these gals are a recent act to some extent although their first stirrings took place in the mid '80s. This Texan trio consist of vocalist Ruth Garza-Newcomb, who also plays bass, guitarist Sylvia Garza and drummer Margaret Cortina. Oddly this sounds like a weird mix of traditional metal with a crossover feel and pop-edge if that makes sense, but if your their anthem 'We Came To Destroy' you might understand what I mean. there is certainly a bubble-gum edge to proceedings and the vocals are often out of key but it really does have an endearing punky edge particularly on 'Undercover' with its catchy riff whilst 'Let's Rock' has a driving guitar and drum and a demo quality, and after I've spun the eight tracks I'm rather confused by this cheeky little record, but I'm bemused enough to like it because it's so damn catchy.
6.5/10

No comments: