Saturday 28 January 2012

Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth (2011)

The leader's of the thrash revival manage to bridge the gap between Metallica circa 'Master...' and Slayer, producing a meaty, chugging, and at times ferocious thrash record. Evile are happy to pay homage to the past as long as their own brand of powerage works, the first two cuts on the record - the title cut and 'In Dreams Of Terror' certainly live up to expectation, but I'm finding myself bored by the Metallica, circa 'And Justice...' plod of 'Cult' and feel that Evile are better when the dynamics become faster and more complex, 'Origin Of Oblivion' bringing to mind the Bay Area fury of Exodus. I'm guessing many fans will see 'Five...' as a natural progression but I'd rather not hear Metallica imitation ('In Memoriam') and instead prefer the almost King Diamond melody of 'Descent Into madness'. For me, Evile are indeed the leaders of the new breed but I can take it or leave it, finding myself absorbed for certain tracks then bored by others. I often wonder how these guys would have fared if they'd existed back in the '80s, and whilst that's all rather hypothetical, I don't see hardly any of the modern bands truly encapsulating the '80s thrash dynamics. Evile's debut, 'Enter The Grave' was a much needed rocket up the arse for today's thrash metal, but this isn't as essential as many would have you believe.

6.5/10

No comments: