Friday 27 January 2012

Po'Boy Swing - Lite & Sweet (1994)

I think these guys have been listening to too much faith No More, especially the vocalist who seems to spend most of his time aping the vocal genius of Mike Patton, circa 'The Real Thing'. Unusual to hear funk metal past 1993, and for some reason however much I want to get annoyed with this....I can't, it's actually not bad, but completely lacking originality. The funk-o-metal groove is very much Mordred, Chili Peppers and of course FNM...in fact it's so FNM I can't really write anything else, 'Not Fade Away' has the Patton sway, complete with trigger funky bass, metallic drums aka Gannon Hall and lashings of soul rather than silly moments. Even so, there are the irritating moments, Jamiroquai bubblegum funker 'Baby Make Me Feel', but despite the imitation the guy has a nice sultry tone, but can you handle it ? If this had emerged in the late '80s or around 1990/91 I'd have probably sicked my guts up, but as it exists away from the funk fad I'm willing to give it an extra mark, but there's still no reason for it to exist.

5/10

No comments: