Sunday 27 April 2008

Saxon - Denim And Leather (1981)


Saxon were a force to be reckoned with in the early '80s...they gradually went down the pan around the middle of the decade, but I heard 'Denim And Leather' on cassette, a tinny racket with predictable lyrics, 'Out Of Control' certainly won't go down as one of the most inspirational rock records of all time, and 'Play It Loud', 'And The Bands Played On' and 'Midnight Rider' won't be breaking any boundaries, whilst the title cut would've been the type of unifying anthem to have had metalheads raging the world over...and whilst I can admit to a very soft spot for the band, simply as playing a part in UK metal, I put my Sabbath records on again and Saxon crumble into the sea so as long as I don't compare them, or mention that a few years later Slayer would hit the metal scene, or Crue would release the amazing 'Too Fast..', then Saxon are okay.


7/10

No comments: