Thursday 28 May 2009

Last Crack - RunHeadStartScreaming (1994)


Is that the mighty Last Crack without the mighty Buddo on vocals!!!!?? I'm trying not to be sceptical as I slap this into the cd drive...it's been so long since the fantastic 'Burning Time', but wow, this is a very cool record. Something so truly soulful about Shawn Anthony Brown's tone, Last Crack still providing at once uplifting and then strange and dark atmosphere's. I have to admit though that Brown is literally imitating Buddo on 'Speak The Ocean', great riffs, and ominous words however, but after all the eleven cuts, I'm still hearing the same Last Crack as before and can't help but feel that Buddo on vocals is a vital missing piece. I guess I was expecting the band to drastically change, but their rage still boils the same, and I guess they didn't have to alter, but why on Earth replace your singer with someone who on many occasions tries to replicate what has gone before ? There's no knocking the guy's vocal delivery, 'Forest Mother' chugs and twists whilst 'Deeper Digging' offers more frenzy in its gloomy bars of doom.


I guess in any form Last Crack will rock big time, but Buddo was a star, whilst Mr Brown is simply a very cool voice, but lacking the stature of the big voiced ex. However, I'm just being petty and should judge this record on how it stands as a rock 'n' roll album, and as 'Structures' flitters through the speakers I'm reminded of that bombastic Mindfunk coolness and Stillborn smoothness, mixed with several other bands from that great time five or so years previous. Still elements of magic at work here and I have to congratulate Last Crack on remaining a twisted stone set in the countryside to remain for all time. A great cult band, who now, after many years passed, have reformed with Buddo on vocals. But enough of Buddo, because this is a very worthy record.


8/10

No comments: