Friday 29 May 2009

Rhino Bucket - The Hardest Town (2009)


Right, I'm reviewing this simply to explain to the Rockin' Rabbi as to why bands like this shouldn't really exist. Now, I'm all for bands being retro and borrowing heavily from their influences, hell, I love Jet, Oasis, and hundreds of bands who've ripped off the Sex Pistols, The Beatles, Sabbath etc. But as the opener kicks in it just makes me want to go and put AC/DC's 'Highway To Hell' on just to put this rust bucket into perspective. This is clone rock. And I don't see the point in trying to sound exactly like your heroes. Three chord boogie, a Bon Scott vocal drool, and that lazy, fist-pump of a chorus...just nowhere near as good as early AC/DC. Eleven tracks, all with that AC/DC structure. Of course, bands like Rhino Bucket don't want to change the world but for once in a while they could change their cd player and put something else on to influence them because this is tedious.


4.5/10

1 comment:

Texastoast said...

I think this record kicks AZZ. What do you mean by song structures? All rock music uses the same basic structures. Take a music class bro. Then listen to this record next to Black Ice and get back to me on how much these bands sound alike - not so much. Besides the fact that it makes no sense to compare a biker bar band like RB with a multi-million dollar concern like DC. There really is not much to compare although I do see that DC used Brenden O'brien to produce Black Ice 12 years after he did the first RB record - who's cloning who at this point? AC/DC has no copyright on the 3 chord boogie! John Lee Hooker maybe, but the boys from OZ no way. Rock on Bucket I'll see you in Texas soon!