Tuesday 6 July 2010

58 - Diet For A New America (2000)


This one passed me by in 2000, mainly because I had no real interest in the nu-metal scene so if anything decent was released, it would've suffered at the hands of the commercial tripe which people were now calling 'metal'. 58 are an experimental rock cat and, with the help of Nikki Sixx, have crafted a half-decent album. The trouble is, this kind of stuff leaves me feeling empty with its light industrial beats, watery vocals, and mechanised dynamics. Typically 2000 I guess, with a few reasonable rock 'n' roll tracks thrown in for good measure, 'Songs To Slit Your Wrists By', the dreamy 'Stormy'...reminds me of what Crue were trying to do on their 'Generation Swine' with its cyber-edge and more complex rhythms. It's all very accessible and is quite far removed from metal, 'Shopping Cart Jesus' with its trip-hop beats, and 'Piece Of...' reminding me of Lou Reed.


Worth a listen, because you know that when Nikki Sixx is involved there's usually something of note.


6/10

No comments: