Friday 23 July 2010

Naked Planet - Naked Planet (1996)

I don't intentionally seek out the most obscure albums to review. I try in vain to review albums i find great, or innovative, or simply meaningful in my life. However, Naked Planet, hailing from Canada, are so obscure, I couldn't even find a photo of their album! Anyway, to cut a long story short....if you're a fan of Faith No More at their 'funkiest', and a Chili Peppers at their heaviest, you may enjoy this. Way too late to be part of the annoying funk metal trend, this album literally came out of nowhere, sunk without trace, and its embers only wafted into the hands of a select few. There's quite a bit of flavour in the mix, a few industrial rhythms, a muscular funk brew, and a rappy, choppy spit courtesy of Vic Branco.

The more I listen the more I wish that this had raised a few eyebrows because it's not as sickly as the early '90s funk crap, and has the slickness and invention to rise above trends anyway. Trouble is, this came out when metal was 'nu' and judging by the promotion...or should I say lack of it, this dive-bombed. Mind you, what is it they say ? Oh yeah, "Only the good die young..."

7/10

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Neil I just found this article, thank you for the props! We will be re releasing this cd early next year ! Let me know if you want an original copy ! V