Wednesday 28 December 2011

Diamond Rexx - Land Of The Damned (1987)

Another of those forgotten glam sleaze acts who had an incredible edge with those weird vocals and fuzzy kinda basement riffs. Sure, there's lipstick, leather and hairspray but the real glam rock knows how to headbang whilst being dressed up in sickly sweet perfume and bloodied rags. Diamond Rexx play the sort of sonic sleaze that Celtic Frost boldly attempted on the twisted 'Cold Lake' record, the anthemic and sickly 'I Wish I Was Rich' belted out over a black riff, clattering drum and OTT vocal. Sneering and spiteful at times, but too obscure and scum-ridden to break it big. Album cover probably didn't help either!

6.5/10

1 comment:

Magpie said...

I special-ordered this as an import because Metal Forces (which was my Bible at the time) raved and slobbered over this album over several issues. When I got it (and remember, it was special order AND import, so it was huge bucks for a teenager) I was so completely ****ed at what a steaming heap of crap it was. The songs were competant, if unoriginal, but the singing was so brutally bad as to render it unlistenable. I still have the vinyl in my collection in nearly mint condition, since I only played it about 5 times. B.A.T.S. was the only (barely) tolerable track on the album.