Wednesday 28 December 2011

Ignitor - Road Of Bones (2006)

When I saw the album cover I thought these guys were from the '80s, or early '90s. I've read several reviews which state that Ignitor come across musically as a mix of chugging Anthrax and Overkill, and in some cases I'd agree, but when the vocals of Erika kick in this is clearly a different metal machine. 'Scarlet Enigma' is a moshing monster but there's an air of mysticism about Ignitor in the classic metal sense. Tales of forgotten lands and magical languages, strange creatures and fiery corners. 'Demon Slayer' is a demon of a track and the crystal clear energy of it all reminds me of Nevermore, especially as the band thrash out a handful of the songs. Sadly, Erika would only last this record - some saying that her vocal style did not suit the metal world, but I disagree. The leather clad maiden more than a match for some of the metal guys out there and great to hear '80s style metal wrenched into the modern ans given a few twists to make it all fit.

7.5/10

No comments: