Monday 5 November 2012

Balaam And The Angel - Live Free Or Die (1988)

This opus was the second outing of rainy UK Goth metal band Balaam & The Angel, who, in the late '80s enjoyed minor success with their brand of drizzly, harmless rock. This record is dressed up to resemble a Cult release, and musically it has a little bit of poppy swagger about it, particularly on the infectious 'I Love The Things You Do To Me' with its slightly melancholic feel. For me the vocals of Mark Morris are slightly out of place, almost breezy and bright giving the record an airy feel. This is the soud of a band with no real identity, as equally mystifying as Claytown Troupe I guess. 'I'll Show You Something Special' has a loose, punky riff and once again the strut reminds me of The Cult with less distinctive vocals. I guess I can see how they got lumped in with the whole Goth scene, after all, there are nuemrous Cure-like bass lines and a slightly rainy feel, but maybe that's just the fact they are British. Mild to say the least... 5/10

No comments: