Friday 23 November 2012

Guillotine - Bring Down The Curtain (1989)

Even more obscure thrash, Guillotine are an American crossover band who aren't afraid to dip into more jerky dynamics and add a touch of complexity - in turn creating some unusual melodies and structures. This has a strong hardcore feel to it, particularly the upbeat 'Pitch Black' although at times there appears to be too much going on. There's even a funky flavour with the chunky riffs and choppy raps. Admittedly, it's not the most thrilling album I've heard, and it reeks of obscurity but some of the revoews for this opus online have left me bemused with some saying it's tiresome and boring but I disagree. Sure, Guillotine aren't orginal, and at times the vocals can become irritating ('When Violence Breathes') but I've heard worse. I'll stick to Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I., and the like, but I'm still glad Guillotine existed.
5/10

No comments: