Monday 12 May 2008

Def Leppard - Hysteria (1987)


Okay, I like this record...I shouldn't, and I almost want to vomit over myself for speaking about the evil rising of Venom, the solid, fantasy of Grim Reaper, and the furious pace of Destruction, and yet here I sit, playing 'Hysteria' through my mind as it sells another trillion and propels the band to the top of the US charts so effortlessly. Before 'Hysteria' Leppard were considered a good rock band knocking on the door of fame, but 'Hysteria' knocked down the doors but also watered the band so much that they became something akin to a lightweight robot blasting the faces of millions of fans with custard pies instead of arrogance or swagger. Sheffield's finest were so huge by the time the 'Hysteria'...er...hysteria simmered down, but from its robo-imagery, its airy sound, and handfuls of stadium rock hits, many would be casting the band out of the hard rock pit, rendering the combo worthless, whilst I guess I was a sucker for the pompous 'Love Bites', the cringe-worthy 'Animal' , and mullet-shaking 'Pour Some Sugar On Me'...and I'll never know why! Just call it one of those shouldn't but did experiences, abit like kissing the fat girl at school and kinda enjoying it!

7/10

No comments: