Wednesday 28 May 2008

Kong - Phlegm (1992)


I'm not sure if this is madness or genius so I'll opt for both. 'Phlegm' is even more bizarre than 'Mute...', combing everything from thrash to industrial, from circus fairgrounds to film noir sleaze, very difficult to pin-down, favourite tracks are the grinding 'Stockhouse', the hellish dance psychosis of 'Bela Soul', and the brooding 'My Heart Soars Like A Hawk' which ends up as an '80s breakdance run-through with funky horns. I can't tell you what Kong sound like, they are beyond the realms of pigeon-holing, it's clearly not metal but it once sat in some remote canyon which enabled metal magazines to pick up on it, but if I had to describe it, I'd say it was the soundtrack to your dreams...often confusing, always unpredictable, sometimes scary, but a journey we couldn't live without.

8/10

No comments: