Tuesday 6 May 2008

Motorhead - Orgasmatron (1986)


Bizarrely I've read mixed reviews on this ground-shaking album. For me, it's one of the band's finest and features some of their oiliest tracks, the title cut for one being the soul reason as to why bands such as Darkthrone exist today. Motorhead were never my biggest favourite in the metal heyday, but their influence cannot be questioned. The band here, feature as a four-piece, but boast some of the most monstrous anthems ever, 'Deaf Forever' rumbles, 'Built For Speed' destroys all in its wake, but we'll continue to come back to the title cut, an epic, plodding, black sea of tar, rusted fuel and grim tiding. the cover alone was a heavy metal classic, screaming along the tracks like a fetid demon, and that's where the band are heading, a fiery pit of the most furious, and cankered. All metallers should own this record, Motorhead, in their almost straight-laced, pure rock 'n' roll abandonment, have given the genre so much, and cuts like 'Doctor Rock' will forever fuel the hearts of those leather-clad headbangers for many more decades to come. 'Orgasmatron' is just one of the band's pounding marches into oblivion.

8/10

1 comment:

hittingkickers said...

I've still got this on CD, but I think I'd sooner go out and re-buy Decade (which I think I only had on copied cassette before) than listen to this again.

Hmmm, I think I had an Amazon window open somewhere.