Thursday 6 September 2012

Bride - Snakes In The Playground (1992)

Well I don't remember this back in the early '90s. Okay, so Nirvana (I blame them for everything!!)killed 1992, and maybe that's why Bride fell by the wayside but it seems as if this alterno metal combo have a clutch of albums out, for me this being one of their best - a real stomper of a record that slots nicely between Liquid Jesus, G n' R, RHCP, Zep and at times Alice In Chains, laying on sprinkles of funk but pumping hard all the same. Soulful in its dreamy weight, vocalist Dale Thompson has a beefy rasp that also seems comfortable with the choppy raps too. The heavyweight strut of 'Would I Die For You' being an underground minor classic whilst ballad 'Goodbye' tugs on the heartstrings. Not quite up there with Saigon Kick and the likes, but a record that sure as hell surprised me when I heard it, so instead of me trying to explain how good it is grab yourself a copy or alternatively get on You Tube and experience it there. 7.5/10

No comments: