Thursday 18 October 2012

Company Of Wolves - s/t (1990)

There's alot about Company Of Wolves that I like. If you've ever heard the catchy, piano led boozer 'St Jane's Infirmary' you'll see what I mean - it explores the usual route of rock bands who've listened to too much Faces/Stones and eventually Black Crowes. There's a cool twang about this though, a strong bluesy feel with Conte's cool sleazy guitar, the album never really rises above a lazy sway but there's a degree of elegance in the smooth vocals of Kyf Brewer. I wouldn't usually fall for this melodic, at times poppy rock, a track like 'The Distance' reminds me of the Stones now, a very Americanized feel to proceedings, 'I Don't Wanna Be Loved' doesn't really change the shape of the album either, but there's just something soothing and accomplished about this no thrills rock. Just another of those bands with promise who were screwed by grunge fever, but I'm pretty sure you can pick this album cheap somewhere, and it wouldn't be the worst few quid you've spent. 6/10

No comments: